The Restaurant
Not all restaurants are open due to Covid. Mr. Park (named so because our first date was in a park with masks on, oh the fun of Covid) and I were looking for a place after our original destination turned out to be disappointing.
I sighed, "Well, how about Indian food?"
Mr. Park smiled, "I love Indian food."
Of course he does. We walk in and I wonder if they are just doing takeout. Nope. The manager smiles and greets me. "Oh hello Melanie, good to see you again."
He's now looking past me to my date. He shoots me a knowing look and takes me to my "regular" table.
Now I suppose this restaurant is a good gauge of whether or not you are tool old to date me. The menu is in really small print. If you can't read the menu, you're too old. Mr. Park works through the menu despite the fact that he's just a tad older than me. ๐ He orders complicated cocktails which the manager brings to the table himself. We decide to share a meal.
Ah, this is date test number two. The manager knows damn well that *I* like my food hotter than Hellwater. He looks directly at my date and politely asks, 'How spicy would you like it?"
"Mild,"
"I can't do mild." Surely the subtext here is that a real man will at least choose medium. ๐
"Yeah, okay medium's fine" Mr. Park says with a nervous laugh.
The manager has thoroughly enjoyed this exchange. He usually does. I'm pretty sure any "mild" dates are not getting mild spices in their dishes.
The meal is wonderful, as it always is. We ordered the wrong bread and the manager brought out the right one anyway. At the end of the night the manager brought us a couple of shots, on the house. Oh, he must like Mr. Park. He hasn't done that for prior dates. Mr. Park is very likeable. I think the manager is hoping that Mr. Park is the one for me. Mr. Park absolutely loved the place. They always do.
I haven't written about Mr. Park much. He's a good person. He and I are very different. He's the kind of person that talks to everyone and I'm the kind of person who avoids talking to people most of the time. We enjoy each other's company, but I think Mr. Park and I both know that this is not "it."
I am sure that I will be using my regular table again in the future. Here's to hoping that the manager doesn't start setting me up with people he knows. I can get dates. That is a far different thing than finding someone who you can be completely yourself with. The one who "gets" you. The one who you understand completely. The one that makes you laugh and shiver. Give that one my number. ๐

Comments
Post a Comment