Dating & Dungeons & Dragons *18+ not for children
I have specified on my online dating profile that I'm a nerd. Most of my photos are in some type of costume. You would be surprised how many people I have gone out with who didn't realize that those photos were, in fact, in costume. "Oh, yes it's my casual Friday tutu and top hat for my serious programming job," I say. When they do not laugh I quietly plan how to get out of future dates.
About 30% of swipes in my feed of potential matches are nerds. Some of them mention D&D specifically and my heart skips a beat when I see that ❤. Hey, I'm not asking for much. I just want a good looking, highly intelligent, emotionally available date who just happens to have a thing for RPGs and middle-aged curvy women. My match must also be a skilled and passionate lover. How hard can that be?*
I loved the cartoon, even though it's a bit naughty. It illustrates the importance of meeting someone who "gets you". In the above cartoon, he has unwittingly told his partner that he is not the DM because he is trying to cast the spell. I love being the DM! I'd respond with something like "Oh dear, a storm blows in and your spell reverses because of the wind. You must find other ways to create the wetness" 😉.
I will be doing a dating recap at the end of the year. Yes, if you spend time with me, you will most likely end up in my blog. The light in which you are painted relies on your behavior. That being said, I always see the good in people. I have had many date-induced smiles this year. One such story was one guy who was a D&D guy. I had fun with that. We counted our dates as game levels. We talked about what level we would need to reach to travel together. At one point, when I wasn't sure if he was still interested, I texted him an RPG scenario asking him if he wanted to continue seeing me. His response was a "yes" in a very adorable way ❤. We may or may not have tried out some suggestive multi-sided dice 😉. The year is not quite over, but he is my favorite ex of the year. He was so much fun that he melted my heart. Then he broke it. Like any RPG, some battles will be lost. You move on to new and exciting adventures.
For me, that means sharing my nerdy pursuits. I don't think you need to have matching interests, but enough to understand each other. I don't miss my ex-husband on most levels. We were in a terrible match. Except in the area of common interests. We shared a lot of common interests and we did "get" each other in those ways. That is one of the very few things that I miss. There is certain joy when you understand your partner and they understand you. I would like to have that again someday.
I really would like to find someone who will indulge my playful nature. I find RPGs to be a great form of creative expression and a fun way to socialize with friends. I think cosplay is similar. These are ways to bring "play" back into our lives as adults because adults often stop playing. It has been a wonderful time where these pursuits are popular and widely accepted. I may not find my dream nerd, but I will not stop playing. I have heard that when you are living your passion and find happiness in yourself, you find your tribe. I think that's true and I'm calling in my tribe.
*Please note that at the time of this printing that the subject of this article has not yet found her perfect nerdy match


Comments
Post a Comment